My printmaking journey continues. I have been working on reduction prints and registration. My latest adventure is in making a jig for my registration.
I used to eyeball the print when I applied each color. Hoping that my registration was on the mark. Of course it wasn't for the most part so the few that turned out well where a treasure. I have since discovered registration marks and/or a jig is the way to register the print for multiple colors. And supposedly less chance for error.
I went into the garage and found some old pieces of wood. I really don't care what it looks like just that it works. My base piece is 11x24 inches. A bit long for my printing but I didn't want to saw it since I really am limited to space for working in the garage. I usually do sawing outside and it was too cold. I found two pieces of 1&3/4 by 3/4 wood that I did cut off because it was way too long. .
The next step is attaching the smaller pieces to the side of the base in an L configuration. The smaller wood had holes in it so I figured it would just take a couple of screws on each piece and I'd be done. NOT SO! What I didn't figure is that I should have drilled a hole in the base piece so the screw would go in easier. Because what I did was strip the screw when I tried to drill it into the base and it was sticking up a quarter of an inch. As you can see I am quite handy in the garage with tools.
At this point I thought about getting my daughter to fix this mess; however I remembered that the Dremel I have will cut metal. I have never used it that way; but hey there is always a first time. so I proceeded to cut off the heads of the screws. Since the jig will never hold any weight I figured that the screws were in far enough.
I have created the jig and I am actually quite pleased with it and my handy woman work. I actually used it to make a reduction print. AND that is a story for tomorrow.
Thought for the day:
If a task has once begun.
Never leave it till it's done.
Be the labor great or small.
Do it well or not at all. ~Anon
(I am not sure about the well part but done is ok.)