Tuesday, September 15, 2009

2nd Saturday


I have a piece in the Born Free “Big Cat Little Cat” show at the Body Tribe in Sacramento. Last Saturday (2nd Saturday here in Sacramento) I braved the elements in Sacramento to be at the opening of the show. When I say I braved the elements I mean the crowds on Sacramento’s Second Saturday Art Walk. Wow it is always busy downtown then. No place to park and people everywhere. I went around the block 5 times and then I decided to park illegally. At least I didn’t get a ticket.

I was very happy with my piece for the show. I did a two color reduction linoleum cut. It turned out pretty good. I am fairly new to printing and I still struggle with printing the lino cuts; but I enjoy it. My piece did not sell that night. They will leave up for the month and see if anyone is interested in it.

In case you are not aware Born Free USA is a not for profit organization pursuing causes in animal abuse and protection. The show is to raise money for their work. Each artist pledges a certain percentage of the sale to Born Free. I pledged 100% so they emailed me today to see if they could keep it and offer it in their online auction. I said sure. I hope it sells for them.

I also visited my Swell Sister Alyson’s show at the Luxe. Her style is changing a bit; but like it. She also had two kitten paintings in the Born Free show. Luckily for me she was only a block away. I didn’t have to move my car. I walked over to her show.

At 9 pm I met another sister Petra and her husband at A Bitchin Space Gallery to see Gayle Hart’s show. She is off the beaten path and I knew I could get a place to park. I am such a baby that way. She is a animal rights activist and her work has a lot of that interest in it.

It was a very busy night and I saw lots of great art.

No comments: