Thursday, July 2, 2009

July Beginning

I am baaaack! Where have I been? I really don’t know. I haven’t been blogging that is for sure.

I just felt I didn’t have anything to say on a regular basis. I don’t consider myself a writer or a chatterer. I am not the person that walks up to strangers and carries on a conversation. This is not to say that I do not communicate because I do.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I do not consider myself interesting enough to blog about ME. However I am trying to change my attitude about myself.

So is blogging doable? Yes: people do it every day.
Am I capable? Sure: I am physically able to type and spell words.

I have decided at this point to at least update my blog once a month. I know die hard bloggers out there are saying “A MONTH!” However that is the minimum and when I do more than I have exceeded my goal. That is a great motivator I think.

Anyway here goes: recently I have been concentrating my art on print making. I took a beginning print class in the fall of 08. We started with linoleum cuts and I really like the reductive cut process; however the printing part is where I really need the practice. I also got involved with spray paint and stencils. (I am still not sure how that related to print making in a print class.) I love the variety art allows us and plan to continue spray painting in the future. I am not keen on the toxicity of the paint and fumes; however I like the process.

I really think process is the key. If you don’t like the process you won’t continue.

I took a print lab class and it was basically independent study. The group was very diverse in print making and I was able to get a lot of good information and help from others in the class. I love the synergy in an art class and I was introduced to wood cuts, silk screen, etching, collagraphs, and monotype. I felt like I needed to be a sponge in the class because there is so little print making being done in the Sacramento area. At least that I can find.

I am continuing with collagraphs and monotype at home and want to do more dry point etching. There is just not enough time in the day.

No comments: