Sunday, July 26, 2009


My goal was to update my blog at least once a month and I find now maybe once a week is doable. I will wait and see. I am not changing the goal as yet; but may exceed it.

Since my last blog I spent a long weekend in Mendocino with my Swell Sisters. It was our summer retreat. Retreat is an interesting word and I may have thought that the weekend would be spent together discussing or collaborating on art. However I think retreat to the others meant to to just get away with women friends.

I discovered at this weekend that I may be in the wrong woman's group. Not because the women are not wonderful and accepting: they truly are very accepting. It is because they are so much younger than I am. Most are in their thirties and forties and I am in my sixties. Once we move beyond art as a topic or interest I am lost. Perhaps it is me and I am feeling my age.

I think we go a long time and don't think about our age even though we look in the mirror everyday. Then we are in a situation and it hits us in the face. I am not ready to drop out of the group; but perhaps limit my participation.

Enough thinking. Mendocino is beautiful. If I could move there tomorrow I would. I like the coolness of the day and the big fire at night. (no heat in the 1850's house) Interestingly I had never been to Mendocino until June 20th when I went to the Art Center there for a workshop. I am going again the first weekend in August for a workshop. Three visits in three months. Maybe that is a sign.



No comments: